Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sew along, day 14: catch up day!


I know we've done a lot on the dress, and we're definitely over the hump. It's coming together at this point!

So far you should have altered the pattern to your liking and cut out the fabric for your dress and lining. Then, you should have sewn the darts, connected the front and back bodice pieces, attached the ruffle to the dress front, and sewn the dress fabric to the lining. That's a lot! My dress hasn't been as perfect all along as I've made it out to be on the blog, so I wanted to share some mistakes with you!

1) When I marked the ruffle template onto the dress, I marked the "wrong" side! The "wrong" side is also the wrong/incorrect side! However, the ruffle template is asymmetric, so fixing the problem would have required washing out all the markings on the piece of fabric and starting over. Since I'm inpatient, I just flipped all the dress fabric pieces in my blue fabric to make the opposite side be "right." Luckily, the fabric is the same on both sides, and at least now it's consistent.

2) When I first sewed the dress fabric and lining together, I made a HUGE mistake. I fed the front into the inside out back incorrectly, causing a twist on the side. I've used this method a million times, and it always amazes me how you really can't mess up, so I just went with it thinking it was right. Then when I pulled the dress right side out, it was twisted! I had to undo the shoulder seams and fix it--refilmed it as well!

3) This one's not so much a sewing mistake, but I did burn myself really bad with the iron during the creation of this dress. I was shifting fabric on the ironing board, and the iron toppled over onto my hand. That was about three weeks ago, but it's still not fully healed. Hopefully I don't have a bad scar.

Why am I sharing this with you? Well, I'm sure you've made some mistakes so far. Don't worry about it though. I've been sewing for years and still do silly things like this. That's why you have your seam ripper! Don't be afraid to use it!

Tomorrow and Monday will be easy days, so if you're way behind, you can use them as catch up days as well :)

No comments :

Post a Comment