Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream


I finally figured out the secret to making ice cream with skim milk--EGGS!! This was my second ice cream that turned out scoopable, and it was delicious! However, we were so excited to eat it that I never took a picture of the final product! I'll DEFINITELY make it again, though, so I'll take a picture then and add it later!

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream:
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
~15 crushed oreos

The recipe instructions are in the photo captions!

Whisk together the eggs and sugar, then stir
in hot milk (just before boiling)
Move the whole mixture to the stove. Add the vanilla, and
heat until just before it boils--whisking the whole time!  
Whisk away! 
Transfer the mixture back to a bowl. Cover with
saran wrap, so the wrap is touching the top of the
custard to prevent a "skin" from forming. Refrigerate
a few hours (or overnight).
Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker, turn it on.
When your ice cream looks like this, add the crushed oreos.
Adding the crushed oreos.
After it's done, transfer the ice cream to a container and put it in the freezer for a few hours. It will be scoopable for days, even without lots of milk fat! Soooooo good! I'll add a picture when I make it again!

No comments :

Post a Comment