Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tummy Tonic


I saw this post a few weeks ago on Food in Jars. I thought it was a great idea, as I already had a minor obsession with simple syrups last summer before I had figured out the whole canning thing, and I thought this sounded like a good idea. I also know both ginger and mint are great stomach soothers, but I never have anything on hand in advance if I come down with something.

I decided to make something similar to the Food in Jars ginger syrup/"Ginger Ale" with mint, too.


Tummy Tonic
3 cups water
3 cups chopped ginger 
4.5 cups sugar
1 cup fresh mint


Pictures of the whole process are below, but here's the quick summary. Boil the ginger in water for 10 mins. Add sugar. Add mint. Continue boiling for 20 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Let stand for an hour. Strain the ginger and mint out. Return to a boil before filling hot jars. Process in a boiling water bath for ten minutes.

Mix with seltzer water for a ginger mint soda. It would also make a great drink mixer with any clear liquor.

I already tried the stomach soothing aspects last night when my bus ride home was super lurchy. It was great!


Here are pictures of the process!

I didn't peel the ginger since I was boiling it

Boiling the ginger alone

Washed the mint--had to buy it since it's not summer 
Added the mint and sugar

It kept boiling over!

Jars ready to go
Straining out the solids--what should I do with the now boiled ginger?

Straining through the coffee filter
My beautiful new canning pot! Took FOREVER to boil though, since it's so big

Processing the jars

I couldn't find a funnel and spilled lots of syrup when filling the jars

All done!

No comments :

Post a Comment