Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Waterspout Dress


I designed the pattern for this dress all by myself! I wore it twice on vacation--once the night we played charades, and once the night we took family pictures on the beach. Earlier that day, we saw a tornado on the ocean (called a waterspout). I love the way I can twirl in this dress like a waterspout, so that's what I named it :)

Waterspout over the ocean!
The back of the dress goes in a shallow V. The skirt, as you can see from the big picture up top, is a circle skirt, but I made the lining a straight rectangle with waist pleats so I didn't flash the whole world every time the wind blew (or I decided to twirl).
Back of the dress
Family pictures on the beach
Charades
There is an invisible side zipper, and I wore the dress with a blue belt. Both the front and back have darts, and there is a back seam (I made the back seam because I didn't totally trust my fitting skills, and I wanted the option to take it in or out at the center back). There is no visible raw shoulder seam (as with the coffee date dress). I LOVE the fabric, which looks like someone threw paint at me!

Invisible zipper
No raw seams on the shoulders
Since I drafted this pattern myself, I'm thinking of making a few more and trying to sell them on Etsy. I've never sold anything before... what do you think? Could I sell it? I would make it in my size just in case it didn't sell--then I'd keep it.

No comments :

Post a Comment