Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chocolate-mint deliciousness



I've made mint chocolate chip ice cream a few times this summer (and apparently haven't posted it; I'll get on that some time in the near future). I wanted more chocolate, though. When I got back from vacation, my mint plant was out of control, so I needed to put it to use. Hence, chocolate-mint ice cream!

Whisking egg yolks, sugar, cocoa powder, and milk 


Chocolate-mint ice cream
3 egg yolks
~5/8 cup sugar (3 not completely full 1/4 cups)
5 tbsp cocoa powder (I used Trader Joe's brand)
2 cups skim milk
Handful of mint leaves


Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar, and stir in the cocoa powder. Heat the milk (I do this in the microwave) until it is hot but not boiling. Slowly pour the milk into the egg/sugar/cocoa mixture while whisking. Transfer the entire mixture to a pot over low heat, add the mint. Whisk almost continuously until just before the mixture starts to boil. Move to a bowl, and continue whisking occasionally until the mixture stops steaming. Cover with saran wrap (all the way down to the custard) and refrigerate until cold (I usually do this overnight). Strain out the mint (I do this while pouring the custard into the ice cream maker). Freeze in your ice cream maker, and transfer to the freezer to harden a bit!



Added the mint!
Into the fridge overnight, covered in saran wrap
Strain out the mint (I couldn't capture this in action)
Into the fridge overnight, covered in saran wrap
TaDa! Just try not to eat it all at once!

No comments :

Post a Comment