Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mom's Zucchini Bread


This was a major favorite while growing up. Everyone in my family loves it, including my dog, who gets it for her birthday every year. This means that any time my mom makes the bread, my dog expects presents. You definitely have to try this recipe!


Anyway, I used about 2/3 of my week 1 farm share zucchini and yellow squash to make the bread. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used part zucchini and part yellow squash instead of all zucchini. Also, I don't own a hand mixer at the moment, so I just did it all with a whisk and spoon. I seriously ate the whole loaf in about two days. I got more zucchini and yellow squash this week, so I think I'll make it again!

Recipe for two loaves: 

3 eggs (use 1 egg+1 egg white for a half recipe)
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (unpeeled)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the dry ingredients, set aside. Beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar, oil, vanilla. Beat until thick and lemon colored. Stir in loosely packed zucchini. Stir in dry ingredients. Pour mix into two greased loaf pans. Bake one hour until tester comes out clean.
I used the zucchini/squash on the cutting board and saved the rest for later in a baggie
Grating squash in the food processor
Wet ingredients together, dry ingredients together, zucchini (I think I packed too tightly) in the measuring cup
Zucchini mixed into the wet ingredients
Final mix in the loaf pan, ready to go into the oven
I couldn't even wait to take a picture before digging in (notice the piece on the right is half eaten)

No comments :

Post a Comment