Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pumpkin Granola


I am totally addicted to this. I don't remember what recipes I originally based mine off of. I read a whole bunch before coming up with my own. It's absolutely delicious. A perfect snack, the perfect blend of sweet and salty. Perfect for fall! I would guess it would go well with milk as a breakfast cereal as well, but I've been devouring it too quickly to test that out. I hope you make it and love it as much as I do!

Pumpkin granola:
1 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
3 cups rolled oats (not the quick cook kinda)
1 tsp salt
Spices: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, dash nutmeg, tiny pinches of allspice and cloves
3 tbsp water
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp oat flour (ground oats)
1 tbsp flaxseed
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/3 cup brown sugar

Mix together the oats, pepitas, salt, and spices in a big bowl. Boil 3 tbsp water (I like to fill a measuring cup to two ounces--4 tbsp--and put it in the microwave, figuring the extra tbsp will boil off). Mash in the oat flour. Add the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, grapeseed oil, and flaxseed. Save the brown sugar for the last step.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and mix together by hand. Mix in about half the brown sugar. Press the granola into a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar on top. Bake ~40 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

When the granola comes out of the oven, resist the urge to touch it. If you must taste, break a piece off the edge. Let it cool completely before breaking into pieces. If any of the granola is still moist in the middle, you can put it in the oven again for a little bit to give it some more crunch.


Dry ingredients
Ground oats
Oats into the hot hot water--I use a fork to get
the oats evenly in
Dry ingredients, wet ingredients, and brown sugar
Mixing by hand 
Spreading onto the baking sheet  
Sprinkling with brown sugar
After baking
After cooling and breaking into pieces
I reuse the parchment paper multiple times... I just fold it into the container and then when it's empty, I make more!

No comments :

Post a Comment