Sunday, November 20, 2011

Betty Draper for Halloween!

Betty Draper costume, complete with candy
cigarettes
I decided on this costume about a year ago, so you can imagine I was disappointed when it SNOWED Halloween weekend. I bared the cold, wet, grossness though, and I made my costume work! Here are a few pictures! 


Self portrait that shows the front of the dress
better than the pictures with the full costume
The back--I tried to make my hair look shorter,
but that failed, so I just left it like this

I used a "Vintage Vogue Pattern"--Vogue 2903. There was SO MUCH FABRIC. There wasn't even enough space in my little apartment to cut it out, so I had to lug it into lab and use the conference room table. I ended up shortening it quite a bit in the end (I made the shorter version, but it hit the middle of my shins). It also ran really big. I made two sizes smaller than my measurements indicated, and it still didn't fit snugly where it was supposed to. 

I made a modified petticoat to go underneath for some poof (just a circle skirt with tulle at the bottom). 

Gathering tulle
The underskirt

No comments :

Post a Comment