Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spring is here, spring is here!


And that means I can start my seeds (well, that I started them nine days ago).
Basil, Cilantro, Chives (though I think two basil seeds might have escaped to the chives section). All growing well in their Chinese takeout container, basil especially!
String beans! Growing fast!

Snow peas
The string beans are in the black pot, and the snow peas are in the tan one. Both have teepees to grow upwards.
Romaine lettuce, cucumber, carrots, and Roma tomatoes... the tomatoes haven't come up yet, but hopefully they will soon.
Oregano, bell peppers, parsley. Bell pepper hasn't come up yet, but hopefully soon. Peppers seem to be slower than some of the others.
Serrano peppers, Thai peppers, Better Boy tomatoes, and MAYBE Padron peppers (I saved the seeds from some peppers I got at a farmer's market last year... we'll see if they germinate and if they grow true to seed). Everything in this container seems a bit slow.
Lettuces! Romaine (planted the same time as the other romaine shown), leaf lettuce, kale, spinach, purple cabbage (grown from the base of a head last fall, survived the winter outside!), and Swiss chard. Just planted this past weekend, with the exception of the romaine and purple cabbage.
Citrus trees (mostly thriving)
My only current citrus concern - greasy spot fungus... I sprayed with copper and will continue to do so. I'm hoping time outside will help eliminate this problem.
Little oranges, getting bigger...
Parsley from last year, mint from last year, and new pineapple sage, lemon thyme, and leeks. I need to separate the leeks, but first I have to figure out where they're going.
Three braided avocado trees, grown from pits. They're having some sunburn issues from the past few days.
My new and exciting project! A vertical pallet garden. I'm going to add PVC pipes with holes drilled throughout for watering purposes and will separately post when it's ready. I think this is where the lettuces will go, since this location is in the shade.
I know some of these seedlings prefer to be directly sown into their permanent growing location. But it's 78 degrees today, dropping into the 20s tomorrow night... I just don't think it'll work. Hopefully I planted enough seeds that some of them will handle being translated to a new location when the threat of snow has passed. I know lettuce likes cool weather, but I'm skeptical about seedlings surviving below freezing temperatures.

Last year, I didn't officially move here until seed starting time had passed, so I'm very excited about growing things from scratch this year. Wish me luck, and let me know if you want some seedlings! I'm sure I'll have too many to keep myself.

No comments :

Post a Comment