Saturday, August 3, 2013

What's wrong with my Thai basil?

What's wrong with my basil?
What's wrong with my Thai basil? The edges are kinda metallic looking
(not showing very well here). It's wilting. All happened very suddenly,
and only to one of four plants (two in this same pot).
My basil has been doing GREAT, especially what's planted with the tomatoes. The tomatoes are also doing great. I gave the Thai basil a nice haircut the other day because it was growing like crazy. Then the next day one of the two basil plants potted with the cherry tomatoes started wilting and getting a copper hue around the edges of the top leaves. Today, it was even worse. I've removed most of the wilted leaves, but now the whole plant looks terrible.

What's wrong with it? Should I remove this plant from the pot? It was doing so well, and the trimmings look perfectly fine in a glass of water. I don't want whatever this pest or disease is to kill its pot-mates (another Thai basil plant, parsley, and cherry tomatoes).

The only insects I've seen in these pots have been scarlet and green leafhoppers. I've read that they can cause damage to plants by spreading disease and sucking the sap from the stems, but this all happened very suddenly.

What's wrong with my basil? This picture is before any problems
07-31-13
What's wrong with my basil? This picture is before any problems
08-01-13 Trimming
What's wrong with my basil? This picture is before any problems
08-01-13 Post-trimming
What's wrong with my basil? This picture is before any problems
08-01-13 Post-trimming

No comments :

Post a Comment