Thursday, May 10, 2012

Aloe Melon Sorbet


I wrote this post a while ago and never actually posted it, so my apologies for the references to the wrong month... This March heat wave has been AWESOME and has made me excited for summer cuisine like sorbet. 

I've recently become obsessed with Aloe Juice. It's absolutely delicious, and the pulpy texture makes it even better. The first time I had aloe juice, it came from an Asian grocery store, and I have no idea what brand it was. Trader Joe's carries some, but theirs contains grape juice, and I'm not a big fan of that combo. I went to HMart and bought one of the many brands they offer. I'm not a huge fan of what I picked, though. I can taste the high fructose corn syrup--it's overly sweet and has a weird aftertaste. I have two giant bottles of it, though, so I figured I'd put it to use in some sorbet.

I blended together some honeydew melon with enough aloe juice that my blender wouldn't get angry with me and then stirred in the rest of the aloe juice. I'd say I made about one liter or a little more. I added a dash (~1/4 tsp) of liquor to help keep the sorbet from freezing into a giant popsicle--I chose 99 bananas because I got a mini bottle in my Christmas stocking and because I thought the flavors would go well together.
Melon and a bit of aloe juice into the blender
It gets frothy in the blender 
Add more aloe juice into the melon blend
Add a dash of 99 bananas


I added the whole mixture into my ice cream maker. The ice cream maker holds 1.5 quarts, and I filled it almost to the top, oops. In the future, I'll try to keep my total volume under one quart since it has trouble freezing anything more than that. Needless to say, my sorbet was still very slushy/liquidy when it came out of the ice cream maker to move to the freezer, but that's ok--I just pulled it out and stirred by hand every half hour or so for about two hours to make sure it didn't freeze solid.

Pour into ice cream maker
This is what it looked like when I took it out of the
ice cream maker
Ready to go in the freezer


This is the perfect summer treat! Totally refreshing, not overly sweet in sorbet form like it was in liquid form, and nice and cold. However, the weather has switched from 80+ degrees to under 55 for the foreseeable future. Oh well!

No comments :

Post a Comment