Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cheesy Mustard Beer Bread

This post is a bit delayed--I made this bread for the Super Bowl. I saw this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and I got really excited! I modified it quite a bit based on what I had in my kitchen, what beer I like, and what type of cheese I can eat.

This bread made my kitchen smell like a cheesy brewery, just to warn you. It was a really good smell for about two minutes, but then it just kinda smelled bad.

Here's my modified recipe. Visit Smitten Kitchen for the assembly instructions! I also brushed some extra mustard on top after it cooled for a few minutes.
The ingredients
Cheesy Mustard Beer Bread Recipe
Dough:
4 tbsp margarine
2 eggs
~3/4 of a 12 oz beer (or a little less)
1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1.5 cups A.P. flour
1 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp. salt

Filling:
3 tbsp. margarine
1 tbsp. mustard (I used Trader Joe's Spicy Brown)
1.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash Siracha
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. paprika
dashes of salt and pepper
1.5 cups Manchego cheese

Follow the instructions published by Smitten Kitchen (found here)
Mixing the wet filling ingredients
Mixing the cheese with the dry filling ingredients
Into the breadmaker
Out of the breadmaker
Slicing into strips (I messed up here--I was supposed to do
eight strips, not five)
Layer the filling on top
Layer the cheese on top
Slice into squares
Into the pan--I used the trick from Smitten Kitchen
where I turned the pan on its short side to fill it up.
Since I messed up and only cut five strips, my pan wasn't
full all the way, so I had to improvise
Into the oven after rising
The bread (upside down) after coming out of the loaf pan

No comments :

Post a Comment